About Our Parish

Our Lady of Good Counsel

Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church is a rural parish of 155 families located in Wilmont, Minnesota in Nobles County. The parish was founded in 1903, when three businessmen discussed the possibility of building a church for the people of Wilmont.  Until that time the Catholic families of the area attended Sunday Mass at St. Kilian Catholic Church in St. Kilian, MN.   The first pastor was Fr. Joseph Zahner who was pastor of St. Anthony Catholic Church, Lismore, MN.  Visitors and new members are always welcome to come and worship with us.

The construction of Our Lady of Good Counsel parish in Wilmont, MN began in 1903, and the first Mass was celebrated on June 12, 1904 by Father Joseph Zahner.  The first resident pastor was Father Joseph Pundez in 1912.  As the parish grew in numbers, a larger church was needed; and on February 9, 1955, the first Mass was celebrated in the present church.

In 1915, parishioners built the first Catholic school, which was staffed by the Sisters of St. Francis in Rochester.  Eventually, high school classes were added.  Over time, many students attended the school until it was closed in 1973.  Our Lady of Good Counsel continues to support Catholic education through families who attend St. Mary's School in Worthington.

Our Lady of Good Counsel has a proud tradition of sharing their time and talents as they pass on their faith to future generations.  With their pastor the people are on a journey of faith, hope, and love!

 


Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!